Sunday, October 6, 2013

Time Flies!

Oh my goodness, has it been since March that I have posted? Wow, time has really gotten away from me lately. Since I'm not working anymore, I am going to try and keep this blog more up to date.

Jason and I have been keeping up with all the things that I've posted about previously, but as I run across new ideas or money saving tips I will pass them on.

I did learn a new tip today. Our dog Sofie has been scratching a lot lately. She has allergies and has been on medication for that but I also started finding a flea here and there. Well, this morning I found more on her and figured I would have to take her into the vet again tomorrow and buy more flea medication. But first, I checked online to see if there was anything that I can do at home today to give her some relief.

Of course I used Swagbucks and searched for home remedies and found several. I ended up first brushing her well with the Furminator comb. Then I gave her a bath with dandruff shampoo with a little Dawn dish soap added in. Apparently fleas do not like either of them. Then I rinsed her well and then poured a little vinegar mixed with lavender essential oil over her before getting her out of the shower. It worked great!

I checked her again after she dried off and only found one flea and it was dead. She rested so well the rest of the day with little to no scratching. I also washed all her bedding to be on the safe side too. I also read about using salt and/or borax powder on the carpet pillows to kill fleas as well. I did sprinkle some salt on the pillows before putting the cases back on but since she's only had a few fleas I wanted to see if we were done with them before doing all the carpets.

She's doing so well that I don't think she will need a trip to the vet right now, saving me vet fees and money for flea medications.

No comments:

Post a Comment