Saturday, February 4, 2012

Saving Money on Medication

I have to take a good bit of prescription medication, but luckily most of it can be filled in generic form or has a low co-pay for me. Well, I recently started a new medication that is neither cheap or in generic form. It is very expensive to produce and well, the company passes that expense on to us, the users. I had a month's supply of samples to make sure the drug was going to work before dealing with the expense and fight with the insurance company.

It worked! Which I was very happy about, but honestly was also worried that I had finally found something that worked but wouldn't be able to afford it. I had read horror stories online about the co-pays even with insurance. While I was digging around online for information, I came across a prescription support card for the medication. I had to have regular, consumer health insurance (which I did) and have my insurance company to approve me for it.



After seeing my doctor for the prescription, I called and activated my support card and waited for my doctor and my insurance company to fight it out over authorization. Go Doc, Go!

Surprisingly, I received a phone call from the insurance company with the approval and I was off to the pharmacy.

The retail price for this medication per MONTH is $2287.00. Can you believe that? What do they make this stuff out of unicorn tears? Well, my insurance company footed the bill for $2,242.00 leaving me with a co-pay of $45.00, which I would have been happy to pay. Then the prescription card kicked in and paid the co-pay leaving me with zero to pay for the first 6 months and only $10.00 to pay for the next 6 months.

The pharmacy tech told me that there were all kinds of prescription cards if people would ask for them or check online. Why pay more than you have to on anything, even prescriptions?

So, the next time you're at the doctor's office, ask for samples to try the medication out first, then check for prescription cards to help save even more money.

No comments:

Post a Comment