Sunday, December 18, 2011

Splurging a little, but trying to save money doing it.

I have been thinking about getting one of the Keurig single cup brew systems for a while, but since I don't drink coffee, I thought it would be a waste of money just for tea, latte and cider. Well, I finally decided to just go for it since Jason drinks coffee a little and I think I would get a good bit of use out of it for the other drinks.

You know me, I don't just run out and buy something. I must first make sure that I'm getting the best deal I can without turning into the guy off the movie "A Beautiful Mind". You know, price charts and numbers scattered all over the wall while I feverishly calculate non-stop. I like to save money, but sanity is important too!

After my research, I decided that Kohls was my best bet. We decided on the Mini brewer since we're not huge coffee drinkers and saw no need for the machine to constantly keep water warm for us. Even without the reservoir and the need to pour the water in right before you brew, it still takes under 2 minutes. I can wait 2 minutes. The Mini brewers were on sale for $99.99 plus I had a 30% off coupon (I know you're shocked I had a coupon right). That brought the price of the unit down to $70.00. I went ahead and bought the refillable K-Cup and a couple boxes of drinks, which I also got to use my 30% coupon on. My total was a little over  $100 for everything mentioned which meant that I also got $20.00 Kohls Cash back to use at a later date.

I also had $22.00 in Staples Rewards to use too, so I went to Staples after work the other night was able to get 2 more boxes of drinks for only $1.98 out of pocket. I plan on using my Staples Rewards and maybe my Amazon gift cards from Swagbucks to keep us in cheap to free k-cup drinks. (See previous posts for more information on Staples Rewards and Swagbucks).

Sometimes when you work so hard for your family and to save money, it doesn't hurt to reward yourself or your family a little. Just make sure that you can afford to do it and that you still try to get the best deal that you can.

I think I'll go brew a cup of hot apple cider now! Yum.

1 comment:

  1. Are the Kcups any good? I've heard so many people rave about them

    ReplyDelete