Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ramblings about us

There is a old song by Barbara Mandrell that says "I was country when country wasn't cool". Well, I've been cheap way before it was chic (or trendy). Of course these days, I feel like it's really more of a necessity than the "in style" thing to do. I really don't know how people that don't use coupons deal with the rising cost of everything. Everything is on the rise but salaries it seems.

I've gotten stuff off the side of the road before (furniture), I've dumpster picked (didn't actually go into the dumpster since the stuff was in front of it), I use coupons, I've sold stuff on Ebay or at yard sales, I've made my own items to use and to sell, and lots of other things all to save money, make money, or for just for the fun of it.

It has been a goal of ours for a long time to be debt free at the earliest age we could and still have what we wanted and needed. I would say that we are lucky though, that we will don't have a ton of wants. We don't have to have the latest and greatest electronics, expensive clothes, etc. It is much more important to me to one day have the financial freedom to do whatever we want than to have every got gadget known to man.

That's not to say that we don't have cell phones, computers or other technology but we do really get our money's worth out of things. We even try to keep our automobiles as long as we can or shoot for 10 years to get out of them what we've put into them. If you're constantly upgrading and trading things in, you're really losing money and not getting the most out of your investment. I'm willing to spending a little more for an item if I think it will last longer than a similar item that's cheaper.

I feel like we work hard for our money and we want our money to work hard for us too. My advice to anyone would be to really ask yourself if you need something or if you're letting peer pressure or your wants talk you into something to waste your money on?

No comments:

Post a Comment