Thursday, July 21, 2011

More Chicken!

I know it's hard to believe, but we had almost ran out of the chicken from my previous trip. So, I waited for the next sale and was able to get packs of split chicken breast for $.98 per pound. I ended up with 6 packs which turned out to be 24 large chicken breast and I spend around $27.00 for all the chicken.

First, I removed the skin from the breast and then cut the thick breast section off of the bone. That gave me 24 boneless, skinless chicken breast, but I only froze 16 as raw chicken breast to be grilled later.


Next, I took the 8 leftover chicken breast and what was left of the split chicken after I had cut off the breast meat (I call them the carcass) and put them in pots of boiling water to cook.  When they were cook and cooled, Jason and I tore the remaining meat off the bone and broke the cooked breasts into pieces. That gave us over 5 pounds of cooked, shredded chicken breast meat.


I love having these for all kinds of meals like pizza, quesadillas, enchiladas, tacos, nachos, and the list goes on and on but I'll stop there before I start sounding like Bubba Gump.

I calculated that with both the chicken breast and the cooked chicken, it will give us 18 meals worth of chicken. Not bad for a $27.00 investment and a little time in the kitchen. Plus, it saves me so much time during the busy week. I could kick myself for paying high prices for boneless, skinless chicken in the past when it's so much cheaper to do it this way, plus you get a lot more chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment