Saturday, July 30, 2011

Breaking the chains of debt!

You guys already know that Jason and I are working hard on becoming debt free. A while back I thought of something (possibly silly) that I could do that would give us visual encouragement on our progress. I made a paper chain (I tapped into my inner child) out of red paper! Each link in the chain represents $1,000 of what we have left on our mortgage. As we pay on the mortgage and move our balance down, we get to take off links in the chain.



I know it probably sounds silly and stupid, but you would be really surprised at how much of a kick we get out of tearing the links off and seeing the chain get smaller. Thinking about paying a mortgage off can seem like an overwhelming task, but having something that represents that goal that you can hold in your hands and see the progress makes it seem easier to accomplish. It's just like when you made paper chains in school to countdown for Christmas or summer break. The smaller the chain gets, the more excited you become and the more you have to look forward to.



There is a lot to be said for "breaking the chains that bind".

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that's stupid at all! I think that having a way to visualize your path to your goals is a great way to motivate yourself and to keep going. Great idea! And who couldn't use some inner-child channeling now and then?

    ReplyDelete