Friday, June 10, 2011

Use What You Have First

Jason has been nice participant in my recipe experiments. Some have turned out great and some....well we ended up eating peanut butter sandwiches. I try to use up things I have on hand that are expiring soon or about to go bad. This way I get my money out of the items we buy and I'm able to wait a little longer to purchase more items.

For example, I bought a bag of the red potatoes recently and have tried to work them into different dishes before they start looking back at me, mocking me with their eyes. Sometimes if I don't a have meal planned out I will look through the fridge and the cabinets to see what we have on hand and come up with something on the fly.

One of my best (and easiest) creations was what we call "chili-mac".  I was struggling to find something for dinner one night and saw a box of macaroni and cheese and then a can of chili. The light bulb went on and I thought the chili would season and bulk up the macaroni and cheese for a quick meal. I cooked the macaroni and cheese according to the box and then just stirred the chili into it. It was great! It even made it into our normal rotation of meals.

So, the next time you're trying to find something to eat, get a little creative and see what you can create with what you have on hand. You might surprise yourself or end up eating cereral for dinner but you won't know until you try.

I would love to know what some of you have created and would be willing to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment