Saturday, May 21, 2011

New Life for an old Bathroom Vanity

As I have mentioned earlier, I have gotten some cool items from freecycle. One of the things I have received is a old bathroom vanity in pretty rough shape. I don't have a before picture but here's picture of a similar style vanity to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.



The one I received did still have the top and of course had a bunch of holes in the back part of the cabinet where the pipes had been. We didn't need a vanity when I got this, but I had great plans for it.

First I took off the top sink/vanity part and replaced it with a piece of MDF measured to my needs. I covered the MDF with thin batting and reflective silver ironing board material.

Next I painted the cabinet part black and added sturdy wheels to the bottom so I could roll it around. Since the side and back were pretty much trashed and the paint wouldn't help, I put fabric around the back and sides.

What I had now was a rolling ironing cart with storage! I sew and quilt so I made sure the top was at least 45 or 50 inches wide so that a standard cut of fabric could be ironed straight with no overlap. I have lots of storage inside for rulers and other odd shaped items and love having the rectangle shaped ironing surface instead of the normal narrow-ened ironing boards. No more weird ironing lines!

You can find these vanities all the time for free or very cheap, and could make any kind of cart with it.....a rolling kitchen cart, the ironing cart, a mobile planting station, changing table (with the right modifications), tv stand, and those are just the first ones that popped in my head.

Here's a picture of my finished project. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment