Saturday, March 19, 2011

Whole lotta chicken going on

Yesterday I went to the grocery store to get the bone-in chicken breast they had on sale for $.98 per pound. I got around $24 worth, so basically about 24 pounds of chicken. Bone-in chicken is a lot cheaper to buy than boneless, skinless chicken and if you don't mind putting in a tiny bit of work you get a lot more bang for your cluck....i mean buck.

Today I started with removing the skin from the chicken breast, then using kitchen shears, cut the breast filets away from the bone. Doing this resulted in 30 chicken breast filets.



Next, I threw the rest of the pieces (bone, bits of skin and more meat) into pots of boiling water to cook them. After they were done, I was able to pull 3 more pounds of cooked, shredded chicken off the bone! I will use the shredded chicken as add-ins to meals, to make quesadillas, pizzas, and all kinds of other meals.




Finally, I strained the broth that all the bones cooked in and ended up with 12 cups of great chicken broth.  I put the baggies into the pans to cool and freeze just in case there is a leak so that I don't end up with a mess.  Not bad for a little bit of time in the kitchen and only $24 invested in the kitchen plus a lot of help on those busy weeknight dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment